Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Rocket attack injures three soldiers

Web posted at: 3/27/2005 2:32:36

Source ::: AFP

ISLAMABAD: Three Pakistani paramilitary soldiers were injured in a rocket attack overnight at their camp in the troubled southwestern province of Balochistan, a rebel group said yesterday.

Several rockets hit the paramilitary camp located at Barkhan, some 280km southeast of the provincial capital Quetta, the latest in a series of attacks int the resource-rich province plagued by tribal revolt.

The troops retaliated but it was not known whether the assailants suffered any casualties, they said.

A clandestine group calling itself Baluchistan Liberation Army has claimed responsibility for the attack.

In a telephone call to a media club in Quetta late on Friday, the spokesman of the group, which says it is fighting for the political and economic rights of the ethnic Baluch community, said it carried out the raid.

“We fired four rockets on Frontier Corps camp and inflicted heavy loss of lives and property, and we are doing so to achieve our rights”, said spokesman Azad Baluch.

The group has previously claimed responsibility for other attacks in the prvince.

The incident came amid continuing confrontation between security forces and tribal chieftain Nawab Akbar’s Bugti in the Dera Bugti region, which is near the country’s largest gas installations at Sui.

Last week some 70 people including eight paramilitary soldiers were killed in a fierce gunbattle between security forces and insurgent Bugti tribesmen.

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?

section=World_News&subsection=Pakistan+%26+Sub-


Continent&month=March2005&file=World_News2005032723236.xml

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home