Thursday, March 03, 2005

Blast creates panic in Quetta , Baloch alliance criticizes Marri Camp action

Blast creates panic in Quetta



By Our Staff Correspondent


QUETTA, March 2: - A powerful explosion in The Railway Colony on the Joint Road on Wednesday night caused panic in the area. The explosive device, planted near the quarter of a railway police personnel, went off at around 10.55 PM. The real wall of the quarter was damaged and window-panes of nearby houses were damaged.

However, police constable Raiz Hussain and members of his family were unhurt. "It was a home-made bomb planted with timer," police officials said. Two more powerful explosions were heard in the city later in the night but police could not ascertain their locations.


Baloch women condemn military action



By Our Staff Reporter


KARACHI, March 2: The Baloch Women Organization (BWO) on Wednesday condemned action against Marri tribesmen in Quetta and demanded arrest of Balochistan IG for, what it called, victimizing innocent Baloch women and children.

At a press conference held at the Karachi Press Club, a spokeswoman for the organization, Bibi Zenab, along with other Baloch women, termed the so-called recovery of arms and ammunition in the action 'a state-staged drama' which, she claimed, was aimed at discrediting Baloch nationalist leadership.

She urged the government to stop the 'state-sponsored repression' against Baloch people in that province and recognize their right on the natural resources of Balochistan. She also demanded that instead of constructing cantonments, the government should use that allocated fund for educational purposes and take Baloch leaders into confidence on mega projects.

The BWO dispelled the impression that women had no role in traditional Baloch society because of tribal bondage, saying that they had always played an important role while observing all social norms of the society.

Maintaining that the women enjoyed a respectable position and nobody could challenge their social status, she said it could be gauged from the Sui incident which had created a great uproar in the province. The press conference was attended by the Baloch National Party leader, Ghulam Mohammad Baloch, and many leaders of various Baloch organizations.

The BNP leader gave details of the Marri camp operation, saying that the camp had been established in 1980s for displaced Marri tribesmen when they returned to the province after Taliban take over in Afghanistan.

He recalled that the then army government had itself made special arrangements for their rehabilitation in the suburbs of Quetta. He maintained that the tribesmen had never been a threat to any authority.

He said that the government seemed to be bent upon crushing the Baloch national movement which was aimed at achieving political and economic rights. Regarding the MQM chief's concept of recognizing Pakistan as United States of Pakistan, the BNP leader said that the situation had changed and we must now first recognize the sovereign rights of each nation.

After the press conference, Baloch women carrying banners stage a demo to condemn the military action in Balochistan. They also raised slogans against the government and demanded withdrawal of army from Balochistan. They also demanded that Baloch people be recognized as a nation.



http://www.dawn.com/2005/03/03/nat5.htm




By Our Staff Reporter


KARACHI, March 2: The Baloch Women Organization (BWO) on Wednesday condemned action against Marri tribesmen in Quetta and demanded arrest of Balochistan IG for, what it called, victimizing innocent Baloch women and children.

At a press conference held at the Karachi Press Club, a spokeswoman for the organization, Bibi Zenab, along with other Baloch women, termed the so-called recovery of arms and ammunition in the action 'a state-staged drama' which, she claimed, was aimed at discrediting Baloch nationalist leadership.

She urged the government to stop the 'state-sponsored repression' against Baloch people in that province and recognize their right on the natural resources of Balochistan. She also demanded that instead of constructing cantonments, the government should use that allocated fund for educational purposes and take Baloch leaders into confidence on mega projects.

The BWO dispelled the impression that women had no role in traditional Baloch society because of tribal bondage, saying that they had always played an important role while observing all social norms of the society.

Maintaining that the women enjoyed a respectable position and nobody could challenge their social status, she said it could be gauged from the Sui incident which had created a great uproar in the province. The press conference was attended by the Baloch National Party leader, Ghulam Mohammad Baloch, and many leaders of various Baloch organizations.

The BNP leader gave details of the Marri camp operation, saying that the camp had been established in 1980s for displaced Marri tribesmen when they returned to the province after Taliban take over in Afghanistan.

He recalled that the then army government had itself made special arrangements for their rehabilitation in the suburbs of Quetta. He maintained that the tribesmen had never been a threat to any authority.

He said that the government seemed to be bent upon crushing the Baloch national movement which was aimed at achieving political and economic rights. Regarding the MQM chief's concept of recognizing Pakistan as United States of Pakistan, the BNP leader said that the situation had changed and we must now first recognize the sovereign rights of each nation.

After the press conference, Baloch women carrying banners stage a demo to condemn the military action in Balochistan. They also raised slogans against the government and demanded withdrawal of army from Balochistan. They also demanded that Baloch people be recognized as a nation.



http://www.dawn.com/2005/03/03/nat5.htm



Blast creates panic in Quetta



By Our Staff Correspondent


QUETTA, March 2: - A powerful explosion in The Railway Colony on the Joint Road on Wednesday night caused panic in the area. The explosive device, planted near the quarter of a railway police personnel, went off at around 10.55 PM. The real wall of the quarter was damaged and window-panes of nearby houses were damaged.

However, police constable Raiz Hussain and members of his family were unhurt. "It was a home-made bomb planted with timer," police officials said. Two more powerful explosions were heard in the city later in the night but police could not ascertain their locations.


Captain appears before tribunal: Sui assault case



By Our Correspondent


QUETTA, March 1: A judicial tribunal investigating a sexual assault on a lady doctor of the Sui hospital recorded on Tuesday the statement of Captain Hammad of the Defence Services Group and summoned the district nazim of Dera Bugti to record his statement.

Balochistan High Court judge, Justice Ahmed Khan Lashari, who heads the tribunal, recorded the statement of Capt Hammad in his chamber. A police contingent was deployed in the premises of the court and intelligence agency personnel were around when the statement of the DSG officer was being recorded.

Capt Hammad was brought to the court through the main gate at around noon and after the proceedings was taken out through the back gate used only by judges. Talking to newsmen in his chamber, Justice Lashari said that the district nazim of Dera Bugti, Mir Mohammad Kazim Bugti, had been directed to appear before the tribunal on Wednesday.

He said that the nazim had been informed on the phone about his directive, but he requested that the date for recording his statement be extended because he might not be able to reach Quetta on Wednesday. Justice Lashari said that the district nazim had been told to submit the request in writing and fax it to the court's office.

About delay in submission of his report, Justice Lashari said the tribunal had so far summoned 19 people for recording their statements. He also said that nobody had shown any interest in coming forward to present evidences.

Replying to a question, he said that after recording the statement of the district nazim, the tribunal would finalize and submit its report to the quarters concerned in a couple of days.

The tribunal had been set up on January 11 by the provincial government and was given 15 days to submit its report. It may be mentioned that it was the district nazim of Dera Bugti who had reported the rape incident in the Sui hospital.



http://www.dawn.com/2005/03/02/top7.htm



Bomb blast near Quetta police post



By Saleem Shahid


QUETTA, March 1: Rockets were fired on a check post of the Frontier Corps in Kangri area of Loralai district on Tuesday night, while a powerful bomb blast near a police post on the Brewery Road in the provincial caused panic in the area.

According to police, the blast near the police post was caused by a 2-kg bomb which created a 2-foot deep ditch, damaged a wall of the post and smashed window-panes of nearby houses and buildings.

In another incident, a Wapda lineman suffered serious injuries in a landmine blast in Barkhan area. None of the rockets fired on the FC check post exploded and the assailants escaped when FC personnel returned fire.

Meanwhile, police continued their search operation in the Marri camp on Tuesday and claimed recovering more weapons, ammunition and explosives. "Police searched more houses in the camp," Deputy Inspector General Police Rafi Pervez Bhatti said adding that the operation would continue for a complete clean-up of the area.



http://www.dawn.com/2005/03/02/top8.htm



Baloch alliance criticizes Marri Camp action



By Our Staff Correspondent


QUETTA, March 1: The four-party Baloch alliance has warned the federal government that continuing violence against the Baloch people will be resisted and that extra-constitutional steps will adversely affect relations between the centre and Balochistan.

Speaking at a news conference at the press club here on Tuesday, leader of opposition in the provincial assembly, Kachkol Baloch (NP), former chief minister Mir Hamayun Marri (JWP) and Senator Sana Baloch (BNP-Mengal) condemned the recent raids on homes of Marri tribesmen in Quetta.

They said that violence and excesses would not succeed in ending the struggle of the Baloch people and urged the government not to repeat the mistake of launching a military operation in the province.

They criticized the speech made by President Musharraf in Multan and in the National Security Council in which he threatened to take action against the Baloch people.

They alleged that 60 Marri tribesmen were arrested and women and children were manhandled by police during the raids on their homes in Sariab area on Saturday night when in their words a drama of seizure of weapons was staged.

They alleged that the raids were aimed at defaming Nawab Khair Bakhsh Marri and also to pave way for evicting tribesmen from their property in the area. They announced that the alliance would launch a province-wide protest if the government did not abandon its anti-Baloch policies.

They also said that government was not sincere in resolving the Balochistan issue through a dialogue. They also accused the government of deploying security forces in Dera Bugti and Kohlu districts to occupy land to explore oil and gas without consent of the local people.

http://www.dawn.com/2005/03/02/nat7.htm



Efforts being made to restart dialogue, says governor



By Our Staff Correspondent


QUETTA, March 1: Balochistan Governor Owais Ahmed Ghani said on Tuesday that the government was trying to restart the suspended dialogue process to promote conciliation and resolve the contentious issues of the province.

Talking to newsmen at the airport after the inauguration ceremony of Air Blue's service between Quetta and Karachi, he said that the government was making sincere efforts in this regard.

"Dialogue is the only way to find a political solution of issues being faced in Balochistan," he said. He said President Gen Pervez Musharraf, Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz and all other government leaders agreed that a political solution of Balochistan's problems should be found.

Replying to a question, he said efforts were under way to resume political negotiations, which had been suspended due to various reasons. He expressed the hope that the next round of talks would be successful.

He said other elements would also play their role in the negotiations as all the parties were urging initiation of a dialogue for the resolution of the issues pertaining to Balochistan.

He said the government had formed parliamentary committees to find a solution to the problems indicated by the political leadership of the province. The recommendations of the committees would be announced soon, he said.

The governor said some elements tried to sabotage the political process but the government had foiled their attempts and continued its efforts for reconciliation. Responding to a question, he ruled out launching of a military operation or imposition of governor's rule in the province.

He said police had arrested some people who were disturbing law and order in the province. He said peace would be restored in the province soon, after arrest of the elements backing saboteurs and involved in blasts and rocket attacks.

Replying to a question, he said that nationalists were opposing large projects "due to their political compulsion". He dispelled the impression that the Baloch would become a minority in their area after with the compilation of the projects.

Earlier, speaking at the launching ceremony of Air Blue's service, the governor said launching of flights by private airlines from Quetta would help bring Balochistan in the mainstream. He said the private airlines were offering concession in fare, which would increase the number of people who travel by air.

He said Balochistan had a lot of investment potential. He urged the people and leaders of the province to benefit from the opportunities for the development of the province. The airline's Chief Operation Officer Shahid Khaqan Abbasi also spoke.

http://www.dawn.com/2005/03/02/nat8.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home