Sunday, December 26, 2004

Turbat: Frontier Corps convoy attacked by BLA at least 4 killed several injured

Listen to VOA
_______________________________________



QUETTA: Four paramilitary men were killed and four others injured in an attack near Turbat district in Balochistan on Saturday.
According to the information the troops came under attack when a patrolling convoy of Frontier Constabulary was heading to the town of Buleda in district Turbat. The attackers used automatic weapons including rocket.
A spokesman for Frontier Corps Balochistan said the contingent was patrolling in Nag Nala, some 30 km west of Buleda, when unidentified armed men attacked them by modern weapons and rockets. The injured were rushed to a military hospital in Quetta. The attackers managed to escape from the scene. Those killed were identified as Sub Abdul Aziz, Lance Naik Gul Marjan and Sepoy Mahmood and Mati ur Rehman. The injured included Saifullah, Zainullah, Wali Jan and Ayaz.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack. The spokesman said they have started investigation of the incident. The officials said that the attack was from those terrorists who were involved in these kinds of activities for last few months and those who wanted to unsettle the peace of the province.

FROM

The Nation

By Azizullah Khan

QUETTA: Unidentified people attacked two vehicles of paramilitary forces in Turbat, killing at least four personnel and injuring five, Frontier Corps officials said on Saturday.

“Four personnel of our forces were killed by a rocket while five others were hit by bullets when saboteurs attacked a patrolling party late on Friday night,” said Frontier Corps Lieutenant Colonel Rizwan Malik. “Their vehicles were patrolling in the Newano area, about 650 kilometres west of Quetta, when hit by the rocket propelled grenade.”

The injured were rushed to a local hospital and were later shifted to Quetta.

Lt Col Malik said the troops had launched a search for the attackers. “It is too early to say who carried out this attack, but we have launched an operation there to trace and arrest the attackers,” he said, giving no other details.

An anonymous caller identifying himself as Azad Baloch of the Baloch Liberation Army said that his group was responsible for the attack.

The caller claimed 17 soldiers were killed in the attack and threatened to carry out more attacks. He warned the army and the government not to set up new garrisons in Balochistan.

Security forces have intensified security in Turbat after the attack and cordoned off the area. Officials said that a platoon of the Frontier Corp had been called in. A special team consisting of civil and military officials had been formed to investigate the incident.

The sparsely-populated southwest Balochistan province is riven by unrest. Some tribal leaders oppose a government plan to establish at least three garrisons in the region, which is rich in natural resources.

The low-level tribal uprising is also fuelled by the perception that foreign investors and richer neighbouring provinces are creaming off profits from the region.

Earlier this month, 11 people including an army soldier were killed when a powerful bomb exploded at a crowded market place in Quetta.

Security forces have launched a crackdown on criminals in the area since May. Six people including five security personnel were killed in Khuzdar in August while three Chinese engineers were killed in Gwadar in May.

Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Muhammad Yousaf had told journalists that law enforcement agencies had raided at least 25 terrorist camps and seized explosives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home